Every cosmetic treatment is unique and every individual has an own perception of beauty. A consultation with a certified doctor at Ottawa Vein and Cosmetic Medical Clinic will help clarify which treatment is best for you. As with any cosmetic treatment, your medical history including information about any medications and allergies will be reviewed. Then, the area that requires the treatment will be examined carefully to develop the best treatment approach for you.
Book a Visit
What is a Dermal Filler?
Dermal fillers have been called “liquid facelifts” because they offer many of the benefits of a surgical facelift without the downtime. Although they can’t help with excess sagging skin, these soft tissue fillers can add more volume and provide immediate results at a lower cost than surgery.
Dermal filler used at our Clinic is a non-animal hyaluronic acid, a clear gel, natural and long-lasting, but not permanent.
Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in the body and therefore it also dissolves naturally with time. In the human body, natural hyaluronic acid provides volume and fullness to the skin.
Injectable Dermal Fillers
Injectable dermal fillers are injected into the skin to add volume, to fill wrinkles, lines, folds, and scars (acne scars). Dermal fillers are also commonly used to give a fuller appearance to the lips. A skin test is not necessary if a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler is being used.
Fillers can be used for smoothing out wrinkles and folds, lip enhancements, and shaping facial contours. The treatment adds volume beneath the skin by injecting into the crease or fold, which then lifts up and instantly smoothes away wrinkles, lines, and even deeper folds.
As you age, your skin thins, causing your lips to reduce in volume. With the help of the active ingredient hyaluronic acid, lip fillers can be injected to restore your lip’s natural shape. As hyaluronic acid is produced naturally by the body, it also depletes over time. Lip fillers can temporarily provide symmetry and smooth lines to facial features, and target the natural flaws that you may be feeling insecure about.
You may start to see results after as little as one visit to the Ottawa Vein & Cosmetic Medical Clinic. The procedure is safe, non-invasive, and offers long-lasting results.
Common Areas Treated With Injectable Dermal Fillers
- The nasolabial folds (from the root of the nose to the angle of the mouth)
- The droopy mouth corners (corner of mouth to chin lines or “marionette” lines)
- The smile lines around the nose and mouth
- Fine lines above the mouth (“smoker’s lines”)
- Lip enhancement
- The jawline and chin (to restore contours)
- The glabellar lines (between the eyebrows) and crow’s feet lines around the eyes
- Forehead lines, both horizontal and vertical
Book a visit
Brilliant Distinctions Program
Become a member of the Brilliant Distinctions Program and receive special offers, exclusive invitations, and membership to the Brilliant Distinctions Points Program where you can earn points on Botox Cosmetic, Juvederm and Latisse.
Click here to register
Frequently Asked Questions
Cosmetic procedures involving dermal filler treatments typically take 30-60 minutes. The time varies depending on the type and extent of the correction that you wish to have performed.
Most people do not find that the injections hurt. Some people have much more sensitive pain responses compared to other people. The level of discomfort also depends on the areas being treated. Treatments around the lips and nose tend to cause the most discomfort.
Some patients prefer to use ice packs before the procedure or to numb the face with a topical anesthetic cream. If the procedure is for lip augmentation, anesthetic injections can be used.
A very small gauge needle will be used to administer dermal filler to keep discomfort to a minimum.
The results of a dermal filler procedure can be seen immediately following your treatment. The results do tend to improve for a few hours after treatment.
Some side effects of dermal fillers include:
- Swelling (brief application of an ice pack can reduce it)
- Bruising (Individuals who take blood-thinning painkillers such as NSAIDs or aspirin may experience more bruising and swelling than average)
- Rarely, redness, tenderness, and swelling develop a few weeks after treatment
- Granulomas- rarely (Granulomas are inflammatory lumps under the skin that can last for months)
Most people find that they can return to work or go about their normal daily activities immediately after treatment with the exception of strenuous exercise.
Stay out of the heat and sun after you are treated with dermal filler. Avoid alcohol during this initial 24 hour recovery period as well.
If any bruising occurs, this can be covered up with makeup (only mineral make up should be used if applied less than 24 h after the treatment). If more extensive areas are treated, recovery may take a few hours, if there is swelling and bruising recovery may last for a few days.
How long result last varies from person to person. The wrinkle treatment is long-lasting but not permanent.
How long to dermal filler treatments last depend on the individual’s age, skin type, muscle activity, area treated, and how quickly the body absorbs the product.
The results obtained typically last from three to nine months. Most patients choose to have a follow-up treatment four to nine months after the initial treatment of wrinkles.
Dermal fillers are not for everyone.
- Injections should be avoided in areas where infections are present or the skin is swollen – e.g. active acne, cold sores. This will reduce the risk of infection at the injection site after the treatment.
- If you have even the slightest allergic reaction to a particular filler, it cannot be used and you will need to use a different brand.
- If you suffered from bad allergies, particularly to gram-positive bacteria.
- If you suffered from bad drug allergies, that have required in-hospital treatment.
- Dermal fillers have not been tested in pregnant women, so their use would normally be not advised by practitioners if you are pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding you should not have a dermal filler treatment.
- If you are under 18 years of age you should not use fillers.