When it comes to Botox in Ottawa, every cosmetic treatment is unique and every individual has an own perception of beauty. A consultation with a certified doctor at Ottawa Vein and Cosmetic Medical Clinic will help clarify which treatment is best for you.
Book a Visit
What is Botox®/Dysport®?
BOTOX®/DYSPORT® is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the brows and for the treatment of crow’s feet (those wrinkles that extend from the outer corners of your eyes, and appear most often when you smile or squint) in people 18 to 65 years of age for a short period of time (temporary).
In April 2001, BOTOX® Cosmetic was cleared for use in Canada for patients with (glabellar) frown lines. Health Canada has granted a marketing authorization for Dysport® Esthetic in April 2013.
How Does Botox®/Dysport® Work?
Repeated muscular contractions such as frowning and squinting form lines known as dynamic wrinkles. When BOTOX®/DYSPORT® is injected into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area, and as a result, the muscle that causes dynamic wrinkles relaxes. As a result, the wrinkles in the overlying skin smooth out. Patients treated with BOTOX®/DYSPORT® report looking more relaxed, refreshed and worry-free.
Areas Successfully Treated With Botox®/ Dysport®
- Glabellar lines: frown lines between the brows
- The horizontal lines on the forehead caused by raising the eyebrows
- The periorbital lines – the so-called “Crow’s feet” caused by squinting or smiling
- The vertical wrinkles around the lips often referred to as “smoker lines” exacerbated by age, hormonal changes, sun exposure and smoking
- Chin softening: patients with a very active mentalis muscle may see the appearance of an “apple dumpling” deformity or “peach pit” chin
- Neck softening for “turkey gobbler neck”: presented as a deformation of the jawline and a high visibility of the buns of the platysmal muscles, caused by multiple factors: degenerative changes of the skin (loss of collagen, fat, elastin), ultraviolet exposure, smoking, and effect of gravity
- Lifting of the mouth corners (”marionette lines’’). The downward “drool groves” at the angles of the mouth are caused by the action of the relevant muscles stretching from the mouth corners down to the jawline
- BOTOX® DYSPORT® injections are administered based on your individual needs. The location, mobility, and size of your muscles will be closely examined prior to treatment.
Book a visit
Brilliant Distinctions Program
Become a member of the Brilliant Distinctions Program and receive special offers, exclusive invitations, and membership to the Brilliant Distinctions Points Program where you can earn points on Botox® Cosmetic, Juvederm and Latisse.
Click here to register
Frequently Asked Questions
Repeated muscular contractions such as frowning and squinting form lines known as dynamic wrinkles.
When Botox®/Dysport® is injected into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area, and as a result, the muscle that causes dynamic wrinkles relaxes. As a result, the wrinkles in the overlying skin smooth out. Patients treated with Botox®/Dysport® report looking more relaxed, refreshed and worry-free.
BOTOX®/DYSPORT®is not permanent. The effects of BOTOX®/DYSPORT® usually last three to four months on average but everyone is different. After several treatments, the effects of BOTOX®/DYSPORT® may begin to last longer.
On your first visit to our clinic, a relevant medical history will be taken and a thorough examination of your face will be done. In order to achieve optimal results, the location, mobility, and size of your muscles will be closely examined prior to treatment. This way BOTOX®/DYSPORT® can be applied in precisely the right spots. To target all the muscles involved several injections are administered in one treatment session.
BOTOX®/DYSPORT® is injected with a very tiny needle (it only feels like a little pinch).
No sedation or local anesthetic is required, and you can resume normal activities immediately. You can even drive yourself home or back to the office.
A unit of BOTOX®/DYSPORT® is a measurement of the drug. The exact number of units that you would require (in order to achieve the look you want) will be discussed during your initial consultation. For example, to treat glabella (lines in between eyes/brows) usually requires 25-35 units.
After the consultation, the procedure only takes up to 15 minutes.
Side effects with BOTOX®/DYSPORT® injections are RARE and NOT PERMANENT.
- The injection site may be swollen or tender for a short while
- Minor bruising (rarely) – which is easily covered up with makeup
- Short- term headache- which is easily treated with Advil or Tylenol
- BOTOX®/DYSPORT® injection in the glabellar area (the central brow) may result in ptosis or asymmetric lowering of the eyelid. The incidence is less than 1 % and will last from only a few days to a few weeks
- Injection in the forehead may result in a descent of the brow
Most of the patients do not experience any side effects at all.
You may begin to notice an improvement in your lines within the first few days after treatment. It can take up to 2 weeks for it to take full effect.
At Ottawa Vein and Cosmetic Medical Clinic doctors will give you the look you want – as natural as you want. Patient satisfaction is extremely high. An important fact to remember is that you will not look different, but simply natural, younger, fresher and more relaxed.
BOTOX®/DYSPORT® has been used safely and successfully for 20 years to treat different diseases. In fact, BOTOX® is used in children as young as two years old to treat cerebral palsy. In April 2001, BOTOX® Cosmetic was cleared for use in Canada for patients with (glabellar) frown lines. Health Canada has granted a marketing authorization for Dysport® Esthetic in April 2013.
No! You face will never get worse if you stop using BOTOX®/DYSPORT®, or when it wears off. At the very minimum, you will simply return to where you started.
BOTOX®/DYSPORT® injections may be a good option if you are beginning to show signs of age on your face. Adults in between 18 and 65 are best suited for treatment with BOTOX®/DYSPORT®.
We do not administer BOTOX®/DYSPORT® injections to:
Pregnant or lactating women (the safety of BOTOX®/DYSPORT® in pregnant or lactating women has not been demonstrated)
If you have a neuromuscular disorder, such as a disease that affects muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome), or multiple sclerosis or any other serious medical condition
If you ever had an allergic reaction to any product containing botulinum toxin (brand names include BOTOX® DYSPORT®