No, spider veins are nowhere as interesting as they may sound to someone who isn’t suffering from them. There is nothing super about them, really.
The veins in question are damaged blood vessels that can appear on your legs or face. Even when they aren’t painful, people still like to get rid of them because of aesthetic reasons. Unfortunately, sometimes they are more than just a visual nuisance, but can also cause discomfort or even pain, especially if you have been on your feet for a long time.
Spider veins differ in colours – blue, purple or red, and they form thin lines across the affected area that look like the web of a spider.
What Causes Them?
It depends on the surface – in the legs, they appear due to vein valves’ improper function.
The veins, as we know, carry blood to the heart and the valve’s job is to prevent that blood from coming back.
Damage to this valve makes the blood struggle to go in the proper direction, which can lead to the creation of a pool inside the vein. Then, later on, it could create a bump in the vein, creating spider veins.
Spider veins of the face can appear when tiny blood vessels burst.
There are some factors that can increase the chance of someone suffering from spider veins:
- Genes – usually there is a family history of spider veins
- Women are more likely to have them
- Age – as we get older, the valves get weaker
- Weight – body weight adds pressure on leg veins
- Sitting/ standing for long periods of time
- If you already have some kind of vein damage
- Sun damage
How Can You Treat Them?
There are a couple of ways that can help you treat spider veins :
- Compression socks/stockings – they are specifically designed tights that improve blood circulation and help with tired legs. Compression socks are designed to keep blood from pooling in veins, which also prevents any new spider veins. If you are worried because of the style, they come in various colours, sizes and opacities, making them a perfect fashion addition to your outfit. We have discussed at length when is the right time for compression therapy, so take a look at the blog for more information.
- Sclerotherapy – This is a very common treatment, that can eliminate the discomfort spider veins bring. This procedure uses a concentrated saline solution that gets injected into spider veins. This irritates veins, making them spasm and eventually causing them to disappear. The disappearance is gradual, over the period from three to six weeks. One treatment of sclerotherapy has multiple injections, but the number of treatments depends on the state of your spider veins. However, it is important to know that this procedure doesn’t eliminate the genetic part of the issue, so it is possible that some new veins may appear in the future.
- Changes in everyday life that can help:
- Being active, like walking
- Regular skin hygiene
- If needed, weight loss
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods
- Avoid wearing high heels
- Try raising your leg while sitting or sleeping
- Avoid crossing your legs
4. TruPulse Nd:YAG laser – pulses of energy causes the blood in the vein to thicken, which leads to the vessel being destroyed and absorbed by the body. The procedure is not painful, patients usually feel a stinging sensation because of the pulses, but you can ask for a local anesthetic if you want. Read more about the treatment here
5. Intense Pulse Light (IPL) therapy – the main goal of IPL is to make blood vessels compress, which happens when the intense pulses of light penetrate the skin. Considering there is not a lot of damage to the skin, downtime is very short, but that can depend on the area, with the side effects being gone in a couple of hours. The most important thing to remember is to avoid the sun for a few days. You can get familiar with the treatment on this link.
Thank You, Allies
It’s not too hard to get insecure about your appearance, one not-so-kind comment is sometimes enough to question everything we like about ourselves.
More often than not, spider veins are just unpleasant because of the way they look, which can make us feel less comfortable in our skin. There is no reason why anyone should feel this way when there are many medical treatments working to our advantage.
Whether that’s compression therapy or any other treatment you feel comfortable with, call our clinic and book a consultation with our staff. We are here to help you feel and look your best!