Let’s get something out of the way at the beginning: your body is perfect as it is.
That being said, it is completely normal to want to change something, improve it or even remove it, if it would make you feel better and more confident. Usually, stretch marks are really high on that list. And we get it, they can be annoying to look at. Luckily, in this day and age stretch marks can be a thing of the past.
If in your free time you google “stretch mark treatment” or “laser clinic Ottawa” then keep on reading, this blog has all the answers.
Why Do Stretch Marks Appear?
“A stretch mark is a type of scar that develops when our skin stretches or shrinks quickly. The abrupt change causes the collagen and elastin, which support our skin, to rupture. As the skin heals, stretch marks may appear.”
Not everyone ends up with stretch marks, but in theory, anyone can.
However, there are some reasons and medical conditions that can influence their appearance:
- Growth spurts: it usually happens in puberty, when we start growing basically over the night – the skin stretches, which leads to the appearance of stretch marks
- Weight gain (or even weight loss) is the second most common reason for stretch marks; when we rapidly gain or lose a huge amount of weight, it causes our skin to stretch or loose, which leads to these lines we don’t particularly like
- Pregnancy: it is not uncommon to have stretch marks during and after pregnancy, they usually appear during the third trimester, when your body grows the most
- Weight training: if your muscles rapidly grow, stretch marks can follow them
Where Do They Appear The Most?
Not every part of the body is suitable for stretch marks – for example, you won’t expect them to appear on your face, lower part of the arms, or feet.
The most common ones are:
- Stretch marks on thighs and hips
- Stretch marks on stomach
- Stretch marks on breasts
- Stretch marks on upper arms and lower backs
Basically, you can find them on every part of your body that stretches.
Are you more susceptible to stretch marks? Research says yes.
Some risk factors can determine so:
- History of family diseases
- Some chronic diseases
- Your weight before pregnancy
- Birthweight of your baby
Can You Prevent Stretch Marks?
We know that there are a lot of commercials saying “use this stretch marks cream” and say bye-bye to them, however it is proven that most of them don’t their job.
However, there are some preemptive measures you can do:
- Hydration is the key
- Eat nutrient-rich diet
- Vitamin C in the food and D from the sun are your best friend
- Research has shown that hyaluronic acid may help prevent them, which is good because we get it from food, in our body, in cosmetic products
- Pay attention to your weight
Getting Rid Of Stretch Marks
Now we are getting to the fun part – life without stretch marks.
There are a couple of ways to do so, but let’s start with the one we recommend the most and do at our clinic:
- Microneedling (aka medical needling) causes minimally invasive precision micro-injuries of the epidermis and dermis, without causing open wounds or ablative damage. The puncturing channels close after a short time and these micro-injuries trigger the body’s wound healing cascade, which induces increased collagen production in the treated skin. The treatment takes about 1 and a half hour and you would usually need three visits to get the best results. After that, touch-ups are recommended every 18 months. The first 45 minutes is when we let the topical anesthetic do its magic!
The reason we love it so much is that it gives long-lasting and serious results. And the best part is, because of the anesthetic, it’s not a painful procedure.
Other methods are:
- Laser therapy: PEARL treatment: stimulates the production of collagen and helps straighten the skin, making it glowy and beautiful
- Genesis laser heats the dermis below the surfaces which stimulates collagen (like the previously mentioned treatment); works best for red, pink and purple stretch marks
- Microdermabrasion works best for white stretch marks; it is a painless procedure that targets the upper layer of the skin and stimulates the skin to tighten the collagen
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): Platelet-rich plasma is an extract of your blood that contains three to five times more platelets, growth factors, and active proteins for tissue and injury healing. It utilizes your blood to release growth factors and stimulate tissue regeneration. It can regenerate your skin while making it tight and smooth. Plus, it can improve your skin texture, tone, and complexion. We’ve talked about myths and misconceptions behind this procedure, so check out our blog post Myths and Misconceptions — PRP Skin Rejuvenation Edition if you want to learn more.
Whichever method you choose, one thing is for sure: smooth, stretch mark-free skin awaits you.
Stretch marks or not, your skin is beautiful no matter what and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Stretch marks are a sign that your body lived, it tells a story. But it’s also completely normal not wanting to have them.
That is where we step in. When you find yourself searching for “skin clinic Ottawa”, feel free to book an appointment with us, our amazing team will help you fall in love with your body all over again.